Damage Prevention Technician
Salary$27–$37 an hour
Full Job Description
Build Your Career at Aecon
Aecon is proud to build some of the most impactful infrastructure projects of this generation. From the roads and transit systems that connect our communities, to the communication networks that link us from coast-to-coast, and the water infrastructure that supplies our businesses and homes.
Our integral work includes constructing the pipelines that join provinces with the energy that fuels the nation, and the airports and ports that connect us all. Aecon is there, safely and sustainably building the future.
We lead the infrastructure industry with purpose, and our people are at the heart of everything we do. Our business success relies on strong execution and continuous improvement – driven by the diversity, expertise, and teamwork of our employees.
We are always searching the globe for exceptional candidates to join the Aecon family and be a part of our forward-thinking, innovative, best-in-class organization!
What is the Opportunity?
Reporting to the Superintendent, the Utility and Private Utility Locator/ Damage Prevention Technician will be responsible for performing utility locates for Underground utilities including gas lines, telephone cables, water pipes, hydro structures, and fiber optic telecom cables.
Our Technicians are trained to ensure utilities are located to both industry and Aecon standards. We provide technicians with the technology and know-how to produce accurate locates.
We’re currently hiring for several locations across York Region, for full-time, unionized positions. We welcome both entry-level and experienced Locators.
Aecon provides extensive training to those looking to get into the industry. Locator’s hourly rate ranges from $27 to $37 per hour depending on the level of experience and skill set.
What You’ll Do Here:
- Locate underground utilities accurately by verifying utility records and using electronic locating equipment
- Understand and respond to work requests delegated by Supervisor
- Knowledge of decrypting utility records
- Ability to effectively document utility locates and follow appropriate documentation procedure
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required
- Drive an inclusive culture to promote equity, welcome different perspectives, and enable career progression by fostering a sense of belonging
What you bring to the Team:
- Self-motivated – ability to work independently on timelines and stay productive under minimal supervision
- Strong computer skills- MS Excel, MS Word, MS Project
- A valid G-class driver’s license and clean driving record is required
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to work accurately and problem m solve under pressure
- Strong communication skills: ability to interact with customers in a professional manner
- Willingness to work flexible and/or long hours when required to meet deadlines
- Be a champion of inclusion and diversity
- Previous construction experience is an asset
- Experience with private locates, pre-eng locates, and locates of sewers considered an asset
- Vital Main Integrity experience is considered an asset.
Aecon fosters diversity, inclusion, and belonging within and across our organization. We welcome all to apply including, women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
We are committed to adhering to the objectives and requirements outlined in the Accessible Canada Act (ACA), and to meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner, through the implementation of the requirements of the ACA and its applicable regulations. If you require accommodation under the ACA Act during any step of the application process please click here.