Associate – Energy
Full Job Description
Actis is a leading global investor in sustainable infrastructure. We deliver consistent, competitive returns, responsibly, through insights gained from trusted relationships, local knowledge, and deep sector expertise. Founded in 2004, we have an unparalleled heritage in growth markets, set within a culture of active ownership.
We have raised US$25bn since inception and employ over 300 people, including a team of c. 130 investment professionals, working across 18 offices globally. Our investors’ capital is at work in c. 100 companies around the world, employing over 120,000 people.
Actis is proud to actively and positively grow the value of those companies in which it invests and in so doing contribute to broader society, and the firm employs Responsible Investment teams that are dedicated to implementing best practices from an Environmental, Social, and Governance perspective with each of its investments.
Actis is a signatory to the United Nations-backed Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI), an investor initiative developed by the UNEP FI and the UN Global Compact.
The firm has been awarded the highest rating score, A* for the fourth consecutive year in the UN Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) independent assessment.
Actis was recently named 2020 Private Equity Manager of the Year and also won the 2020 climate change impact project/investment of the year both by Environmental Finance.
Our core values are:
Native/Fluent Vietnamese or Filipino preferred
Purpose of Role
Working as a key member of the Actis global energy infrastructure team based in Singapore. This is a hands-on role and requires an understanding, background, and genuine desire to drive best-in-class performance.
This person will work on all deal-related activities, including financial modeling, investment analysis, and preparing investment committee presentations, etc.
Based in Singapore, the incumbent will be a key member of the Actis Energy Infrastructure business in South East Asia and will be part of an exciting team to build the franchise of the business in the region. This is a permanent role with potential career progression in Actis subject to performance.
Working within an investment team to ensure the greatest impact on value for Actis and its investors. Assignments include:
Origination and Deal Execution
- Support sector mapping to expand the pipeline of deal opportunities
- Create financial models to evaluate investment opportunities
- Conduct due diligence in support of transactions under the direction of the senior investment team including, but not limited to, market and financial, and technical due diligence.
- Prepare project documentation including screening memos, investment committee memos, and updates under the supervision of the investment manager
- Identify areas of transaction risk and potential mitigation strategies, as part of the deal team
- Summarise, interpret, and present material in an accurate and convincing manner to a deal team and Investment Committee
- Assist the investment manager in all matters related to the deal closing, including deal documentation, finance documentation, and structuring. Actively contribute to sector initiatives, become a knowledge base of sector insight and expertise
- Assist the investment manager with portfolio/asset management of assigned project(s), including initiatives such as debt financing, operational improvement initiatives, management recruitment, and exit planning
- Prepare quarterly investment reports and valuation reports for projects for review by the investment manager
- Actively contribute to sector initiatives, become a knowledge base of sector insight and expertise
- Work in partnership with global specialists (e.g., Sustainability) and sector teams
- Additional responsibilities include participation in Actis-wide projects or initiatives and building effective networks with peers
- Working with the Energy COO on quarterly reporting and interaction with investors in the Actis Energy
- Analyst or Associate level knowledge gained within a private equity firm, investment bank, or top-tier management consulting environment
- A good understanding of how private equity works its philosophy, disciplines, and value orientation
- A passion for working in growth markets
- Interest and/or experience in the Energy / Infrastructure sector an advantage
- MBA from a top business school / Qualified Chartered Accountant, or degrees equivalent
- CFA qualification is an advantage.
- Exceptional team player with the ability to collaborate effectively
- A passion for sustainability and working in a values-driven organization.
Skills and Competencies
- Evidence that there is a strong fit with Actis firm values: accountability, collaboration, transparency, inclusion, and sustainability.
- Strong analytical skills, including financial modeling, valuation
- Proactive, self-starter; ability to conduct detailed sector analysis with limited supervision
- Highly organized and focused
- Project management and ability to drive initiatives through to completion
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills
- Collaborate effectively with others, including senior managers and external parties
- Strategic, analytic, and numeric thinking capability
- Strong communicator with the ability to influence others in a positive way