Software Engineer – Android (Full-stack)
- Company pension
- Employee discount
- UK visa sponsorship
Full Job Description
Jobs for Humanity is dedicated to building an inclusive and just employment ecosystem. Therefore, we have dedicated this job posting to individuals coming from the following communities: Refugee, Neurodivergent, Single Parent, Blind or Low Vision, Ethnic Minority, and Previously Incarcerated. If you identify with any of the following communities do not hesitate to register, even if you feel that this particular opportunity is not the right fit for you.
Company Name: Booking
At Booking.com, we believe travel is a force for good in the world, connecting people and cultures, reducing barriers, and increasing understanding. Our mission is to make it easier for everyone to experience the world. In the Trips business unit, we’re committed to truly connecting your trip.
Offering not only accommodation for your trip but everything else you might want to book as part of your trip. From a visit to the Eiffel Tower to a travel pass to explore Barcelona your way, or your car for that dream Route 66 road trip. We want to make that trip a memorable one.
The Rides team, part of our Trips Business Unit, provides our customers with airport transfer, taxis & public transport services so that they can truly connect their trip from beginning to end. We aim to make it easier for our customers to find, book, and get smoothly to their destination during their trip.B.Responsible
- You will have end-to-end ownership of the development of our Taxi Android module and the backend services it relies on
- You will be involved in the development of new features, collaborating with other native Android, iOS, and Backend developers.
- You will collaborate with the rest of the team in order to create a seamless experience across mobile platforms and services.
- Ensure the utmost high quality of the Booking.com app in production by monitoring engineering metrics (e.g. crashes), firefighting incidents, solving complex bugs, etc, and leading incident investigations if necessary.
- Lead and coach other developers on the team
- Help to maintain and modernize the core libraries for the Booking.com app (Network, A/B testing, Local Storage, etc.).
- Ensure that the Taxi Android product and new features are always kept up-to-date with the latest technology standards and department guidelines.
- Ensure that service-level agreements for test coverage and quality are met by implementing tests and processes.
- Perform profiling to find bottlenecks and optimize performance, and ensure that performance metrics are set up and monitored for app health.
- Connect business and product goals to complex technical tasks.
- Prioritize issues based on customer impact.
- Collaborate with app developers, backend developers, product owners, and quality specialists, to constantly improve the customer experience within the app platform.
- Contribute to Booking.com’s growth through interviewing, onboarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- Experience in developing native Android applications using the Android SDK, Java or Kotlin.
- Willing to learn the development of Backend services using Kotlin and SpringBoot in AWS.
- Experience building apps that have been approved for the Google Play store.
- Knowledge of Object Oriented concepts and a strong passion for software development.
- Self-motivated to explore new technologies, applications, and environments.
- Effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, team player.
- Fully comfortable working in English, both in writing and speaking.
- Experience with A/B testing and making data-driven decisions.
- You’re not afraid to solve deep technical challenges on a whole new level at a huge scale.
- You have an intrinsic curiosity for technological innovations and you are always on top of the latest trends.
- Experience with Google Play and the app distribution process.
Bonus points for:
- Experience in developing iOS applications.
- You are passionate about open source and contribute.
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- Work in a team highly focused on user experience and experimentation.
- Space to improve and refactor the codebase.
- Generous pension of up to 10% contribution from us
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays (rising to 28 days after 3 years of service)
- Great discounts on accommodation, car rentals, and other group benefits
- Employee perks and discounts to hundreds of businesses through Perkbox
- Great office space in the heart of London near Monument
- Great facilities – Lunch vouchers, free fruit, on-premise showers, and cycle parking
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Please note, this role is based in London with no relocation support provided but visa sponsorship will be offered.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law.
Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education, and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.