Assistant Finance Controller
Full Job Description
As one of the world’s premier entertainment portfolios, NBCUniversal International Networks & Direct-to-Consumer delivers quality content and compelling brands to over 160 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, and Asia Pacific.
Delivering a full range of entertainment experiences to local audiences across the globe, the unique brands include UNIVERSAL TV, SYFY, E! Entertainment Television, 13THSTREET, DIVA, Studio Universal, Telemundo, Bravo, and DreamWorks. Universal+ (a hybrid linear and non-linear service) aggregates the group’s brands on affiliate platforms, offering subscribers both live programming and an extensive range of compelling VOD content, including territory premieres and full box sets, available all in one place.
NBCU’s direct-to-consumer activity outside the US includes Hayu, the all-reality SVOD service available in 27 territories – including the UK, Canada, and across Europe and Asia Pacific – as well as our, streaming service Peacock, recently launched in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy.
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.
NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a premium ad-supported streaming service. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
The Assistant Financial Controller, EMEA is responsible for ensuring the day-to-day accounts and accounting processes are managed to a high standard. This will involve working closely with our outsourced AP & AR providers to ensure the accuracy of data, smooth operations, and timely escalations to the Financial Controller, EMEA.
- Responsible for monthly and quarterly closes to ensure accurate financial bookings and timely reporting of financials and balance sheet reviews to senior management, for numerous legal entities.
- Ownership of EMEA legal entities incl. statutory accounts process, corporate reporting requirements, account reconciliations, and balance sheet reviews.
- Day-to-day oversight of Finance Accountants as well as additional offshore resources.
- Responsible for financial accounting across multiple feeds, channels & departments, with a focus on accurate revenue and cost accruals. Involves journal entry review, Interco management, channel reviews, and decision-making in judgmental areas.
- Supporting multiple P&L owners to validate & understand the financial performance of each channel on a monthly and quarterly basis, providing analysis and backup as needed.
- Identification and communication of risks & opportunities impacting the monthly & quarterly results and supporting FP&A counterparts in the forecasting and budgeting processes to validate key accounting assumptions to ensure these are accurately reflected.
- Providing financial support to commercial and legal teams including new business initiatives such as channel launches ensuring robust, efficient, and compliant processes in place to support the business.
- Tax Compliance for Corporation Tax, VAT including Foreign VAT claims, and WHT.
- Local statutory compliance & key point of contact for local French & Spanish authorities
- Build relationships with key stakeholders – including opco functional leads, International Networks Group Controller, Corporate Finance, Tax, Treasury, and outsource partners
- Support the implementation of forecasting and reporting systems and tools.
- Any other duties commensurate with the level of responsibility of this post, for which the post holder has the necessary experience and/or training
- Qualified accountant (ACCA/CIMA/ACA or equivalent)
- Strong financial & analytical skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office tools (especially Excel & PowerPoint)
- Experience working in a large multi-national corporation with extensive corporate reporting deadlines & requirements
- Pro-active & solution focused
- Attention to detail, but able to decide when higher-level analysis needed
- Team worker and good at building relationships
- Ability to operate & communicate effectively across diverse cultural and business environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to analyze/present financial data
- Understanding of the media industry
- Good knowledge of French and Spanish GAAP
- In addition to English, being able to speak French or Spanish would be advantageous
- Experience working with outsourced service providers.
- Experience in working with General Ledger and Consolidation systems, SAP/BPC/AOE.
- Experience working in a large multinational corporation
- Strong interest in the media industry and television business.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability.