Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world.
As an Etsy Inc. employee – whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 – you’ll tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What’s the role?
We are looking for a Market Researcher who can influence marketing decision-making by deeply understanding Etsy’s audiences and our evolving competitive landscape. You’ll work closely with marketing teams and alongside other researchers and data scientists to deliver insights and recommendations that will craft the future of human commerce on Etsy.
You know how to conduct professional-quality market research, incorporating both qualitative and quantitative methods. You work well with others and have proven instincts about when to hold the line on methodological rigor, and when to adapt to the changing demands of a project. Most importantly, you approach your work with a genuine sense of curiosity and empathy, and you’re willing to challenge conventional wisdom to find the right answer!
This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Market Research. For this role, we are considering candidates based in Canada who are either remote, flex or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and vaccination policy here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- The Market Research team uses research to inform the development of marketing strategy & tactics and to help evaluate marketing performance (in close partnership with marketing analytics)
- We’re a mixed methods team, applying a deep bench of quantitative and qualitative methods.
- We conduct research with global consumers, small business owners, as well as Etsy buyers & sellers
- We actively foster an inclusive team culture that promotes diversity, collaboration, and professional development
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Partner with brand and marketing teams to guide strategy and execution, drawing on your expertise in market research and your experience with a range of digital and offline channels
- Conduct primary market research, owning key stages of the process including questionnaire/discussion guide writing, data analysis, and report writing
- Source and synthesize secondary research, including competitive intelligence
- Share tangible findings and prioritized recommendations on a regular basis, to drive Etsy’s marketing and business goals
- Contribute to market research operations, including project management and overseeing the process of working with third-party research vendors (e.g., research agencies, moderators)
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable to local law
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Have approximately 3+ years of experience conducting primary market research, employing methods such as surveys, in-depth interviews, focus groups, and brand tracking
- You are a strong communicator and storyteller, with the ability to hold your own in a meeting and present research findings with a customer-centric perspective
- You are ambitious, meticulous, and have exceptional project management skills
- Experience with research operations is a plus
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us, and feel free to include a cover letter if you’d like. As we hope you’ve seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply.
Etsy is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
If, due to a disability, you need accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.