Manufacturing / Production Ottawa, Ontario
Canadian Bank Note Company is a global leader in the development of customized solutions for identification, border security, excise control, currency, and lottery operations.
Our customers are domestic and foreign governments, and together we work to design, launch and support the technologically advanced secure documents and information systems that protect borders, safeguard national currencies, and generate revenue for government social initiatives.
What is a Porter?
We are currently looking for Porters to join our team. This is an entry-level, unionized position within CBN. It starts with the cleaning and preparation of rooms and common areas, but is well suited to an individual who can see the possibilities that lie beyond this.
For motivated self-starters this role could lead to a career in general skilled trade positions or specialized mechanical skilled trade positions within specific internal departments.
- The rate of pay will be $23.44 per hour
- Benefits and pension are included
What’s In It For You?
- You’ll gain exposure to the fascinating world of secure printing.
- You will be making a fantastic environment for everyone to work at.
- Opportunity to move up into skilled trade roles or specialized mechanical skilled trades.
What Will You Do?
- Maintain a pristine work environment: Perform general cleaning activities such as sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing, moping, polishing floors, cleaning windows, removing garbage, collecting recycling, stocking supplies. You’ll help maintain the whole building including administrative rooms, meeting rooms, common areas, cafeterias, locker rooms and washrooms.
- Get things to where they need to be: Move materials (goods on pallets) within specified production areas using carts, pallet jacks, mobile hydraulic lifts and forklifts. You’ll ensure the departments are stocked with required materials and finished goods are transported to designated areas
- Support a secure environment: You’ll escort non-CBN employees, such as contractors, throughout CBN facilities as required.
Daily tasks are dynamic in nature and change depending on production demands and traffic in the building.
What Will Help You Succeed?
To be successful in the role and progress will require a pro-active mindset and the ability to multi-task and quickly shift priorities in the face of changing demands.
We are looking for independent thinkers who can maintain healthy working relationships with their co-workers while leading by example with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Previous experience operating a forklift
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment
- Mechanical aptitude
- Able to thrive through changing priorities
- A proven excellent attendance record
- Strong in communication
- Works as a team player
- Can be adaptable in changing circumstances.
- Adept at solving problems.
- Ability to work all shifts (days, evenings, nights, weekends)
- The ability to obtain and maintain Government of Canada Secret (Level II) clearance.
- Operating pallet jacks, electric pallet trucks and forklifts. Company training and certification will be provided.
- The job is physically demanding and requires:
- Continuous standing and walking for 95% of shift
- Bending, lifting/ lowering, pushing/ pulling
- Exert the following amount of force to move objects at the specified frequency
- up to 10 lbs constantly (e.g., cleaning supplies, spill kit materials)
- 10 to 25 lbs frequently (e.g., kitchen and office supplies)
- 20 to 50 lbs occasionally (e.g., waste containing bins)
- Comfortable handling hazardous waste
People who enjoy variety and think beyond their job descriptions succeed here. As part of the team at CBN, your job is to take your career in new directions and be part of our customer’s success stories.
So, if you’re looking for the chance to work for a global technology company, explore new opportunities, and deliver exceptional work to your customers, we want to hear from you!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited is committed to achieving a skilled and diversified workforce that reflects the diversity of the Canadian population. We encourage applications from women, visible minorities, people with disabilities and Aboriginal people.
Canadian Bank Note Company Limited is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodation measures you may require.