Youth Apprentice, Junior Coder, Amazon Jump Start
Our mission is to be Earth’s most customer-centric company. This is what unites Amazonians across teams and geographies as we are all striving to delight our customers and make their lives easier, one innovative product, service, and idea at a time.
This goal continues today, but Amazon’s customers are worldwide now and have grown to include millions of Consumers, Sellers, Content Creators, Developers & Enterprises.
Each of these groups has different needs, and we always work to meet those needs, innovating new solutions to make things easier, faster, better, and more cost-effective. Come build the future with us.
Come join us to work hard, have fun, and make history!
Key job responsibilities
Under the direction of a developer, Junior Coders are heavily involved in programming by implementing simple code or modifying established applications.
They may be responsible for responding to client support requests by investigating, analyzing, debugging, and rectifying simple issues. They gather user needs to develop and maintain software solutions. They work within a team to design and complete projects.
Maintain software applications or websites using core coding languages and tools.
• Work with other developers to identify the goals, limits, capabilities, performance requirements, and users for a given project
• Modify existing software to correct errors, adapt it to new hardware, or improve performance.
• Work with others to complete work, hit goals, resolve conflicts, and work effectively as a team.
• Write, design, and edit software
About the team
Amazon Jump Start employs emerging talent from high schools in historically excluded communities. Apprentices learn on the job and make valued contributions on behalf of customers. The program is a complement to in-classroom school learning, designed to accelerate a student’s future career prospects.
Apprentices report directly to full-time Amazonians for a maximum 3-year period, increasing their standard work hours as competency level increases.
Upon completion of the 3 years, apprentices can take the skills they have acquired into the broader marketplace, leverage their experience to pursue higher education or apply for a suitable role within Amazon should an opportunity become available.
• Ability to work 16 hours per week
• Participant in the CareerWise New York Program
• Organized: You are responsible and possess discipline and determination. You are focused; a planner who likes to achieve and improve.
• Team Player: You like accomplishing things as part of a team.
• Good Communicator: You are comfortable talking with all different kinds of people, interests, and walks of life.
• Tech Savvy: You feel completely comfortable navigating technology/your computer.
• Self-Starter: You enjoy learning on your own; you’ve frequently found tutorials or videos to help yourself learn how to do something.
• Dependable: You are reliable and responsible, and understand how important it is to be where you need to be when you need to be there, and prepared for what you need to do.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or another legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.