Skate Patroller, Assistant
Req ID: 21895
Vacancy Type: Combination
Number of Positions: 25
Closing Date: 01/07/2023
Responsible for providing a safe skating experience during Drop In Ice Programs to meet the needs of all participants. This could include Fun Skate, Stick and Puck Programs, and Shinny Programs.
Learn more from Taylor on what it is like to be a Skate Patroller at the City!
- Clarkson CC
- Erin Mills Twin Arena
- Huron Park Recreation Centre
- Iceland Arena
- Meadowvale 4 Rinks
- Port Credit Memorial Arena
- Mississauga Valley CC
- Paul Coffey Arena (Malton Arena)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Supervisor of Community Programs the successful candidate will be responsible to ensure the delivery of a comprehensive Drop In Ice Program to meet the needs of all participants through ongoing supervision and excellent customer and staff relations.
- Ensure that participants have proof of payment.
- Check that participants are wearing appropriate equipment for the program.
- Provide customer service to all participants.
- Conduct on-site facility checks.
- Monitor use of allowed equipment.
- Perform First Aid when required and complete an accident/incident report.
- Perform administrative tasks as required.
- Enforce a zero tolerance policy of abusive behavior in accordance with the violence and vandalism policy.
- Inform full time supervisor of any staffing/participants issues that may compromise the program.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must hold a valid Emergency First Aid and CPR B or Standard First Aid and CPR C (Lifesaving Society, Canadian Red Cross Society, St. John’s Ambulance or the Canadian Ski Patrol) certification (must be recognized by WSIB). The award must be current during the employment period.
- Strong skating skills and knowledge of safe on-ice practices.
- Strong verbal skills
- Ability to work with a team
- Previous customer service experience is an asset.
- A Level 3 – Vulnerable Sector Check will be required of the successful candidate, as a condition of employment, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $15.54 – $17.28
Hours of Work: 4 – 6 hours per week
Work Location: [[custlocation]]
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , CMS/Recreation Division , Aquatics, Therapeutic & Fitness
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
COVID-19 Update: As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day.
A Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.